Saturday, August 8, 2009

KawaiiPanda's Current Sunscreens + Reviews

Here's what I currently use and would like to share my thoughts on these.


Make Up For Ever UV Prime: It's suppose to be a moisturizer-sunscreen-primer-in-one so despite the pricey cost I still bought one. I thought it would eliminate the duration of my morning routine and the built-in primer will give me a smooth, shine-free skin. But I was disappointed! It came out as a sunscreen-like white cream and as I was rubbing it into my skin, it left my skin shiny. It did quickly absorb into my skin so there wasn't a layer of grease but wasn't it suppose to make my pores disappear and take away the shine? I think the worst part was that it gave me a grayish/bluish tint on my face and my boyfriend said I looked ridiculously pale. I tried applying Smashbox's Photo Finish Bronzing Primer and it did help eliminate the paleness, grayish/bluish tint plus the shine (the Smashbox bronzing primer is usally too dark for me. I have light skin). So I'll continue to use this w/ the smashbox primer but I won't but it it again. $30 for 1 fluid oz.



Pros:


  • Did moisturize my skin

  • Did not sting my eyes (I applied it on my eyelids, corner of my eyes and right below my lower lash line)

  • High UVB protection(SPF 50)

  • High UVA protection (PA+++)

  • Instant skin protection

Cons:



  • Did not work as a makeup primer

  • Made my skin shiny

  • The cost in respect to the size

  • Made my complexion very pale w/ a grayish/bluish tint

  • Hard to Re-apply during the day when you have makeup on



Cetaphil UVA/UVB Defense SPF 50: This came as a generous sample when I purchased the 2 bottles of Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser at Costco a few days ago. It's a sunscreen and moisturizer combo. The bottled stated that it's non-comedogenic, non-greasy and fragrance free. However, I found it very greasy because it doesn't absorb well and even a moderate amount of Smashbox primer couldn't take out the shine. In addition to the primer, I brushed a layer of Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil but there was still some shine. Moreover, there was a slight resistance when I buffed on the powder because the sunscreen was was like a thick greasy layer that didn't enable my brush to glide smoothly. In fact, it doesn't really absorb well I tried it on my arms and it absorb pretty good but had a slight stickiness. I might buy it in the future for just the arm and hand area. 4 fluid oz for $11.49 at drugstore.com. The sample is 1.7 fluid oz.


Pros:



  • Did work as a moisturizer

  • Did not sting the eyes

  • High SPF

  • Fragrance Free

  • Non-comedogenic

  • Price

Cons:



  • Did not absorb well on my face

  • Very thick and greasy

  • Hard to re-apply during the day when you have makeup on

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 85: I've been using the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunblock for years. Started off with SPF 45 and each time I needed another tube I grabbed the one w/ the highest SPF factor. At that time I thought the higher the SPF factor the better it protects me from wrinkles and sunspots. It was only last year when I realized the SPF factor only indicates the degree of sunburn protection. I'm only concerned with the UVA protection since the total time I'm outdoors is no more than 20 minutes. So I basically don't need such a high SPF factor. This tube is almost done so I will purchase the SPF 55 at Costco, which comes in a 2-pack for ~$14.99. Other stores range from $8.99-$11.99 for 3 fluid oz.


Pros:



  • Price

  • Dry Touch technology helps eliminate shine

  • Non-comedogenic

  • Oil-free

  • Contains Helioplex that makes the active ingredients more stable

  • Easily absorbed

  • Comes in a range of SPF factors

Cons:



  • Stings my eyes so I have to use another brand on my eyes.

  • There's fragrance

  • No instant protection. Since it's a chemical sunscreen, I have to apply it 15 minutes before sun exposure.

Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30: I started using this one a year ago. I thought it was brilliant idea of having mineral sunblock in a to-go brush applicator. I have makeup on so it's impossible to reapply sunscreen without ruining my makeup. With the powder sunscreen I can easily apply it over my makeup without messing it up too much. However, it's very difficult to tell if you're applying any powder at all. The tube is opaque white so you cannot determine how much powder is left. After using the tube for 2 weeks, I wasn't sure if any powder was left and was trying to yank the brush applicator out to retrieve the remaining powder. Then I discovered that the bottom can be unscrewed so I poured everything into a ziplock bag. I just take the ziplock bag, shake it vertically so a layer of powder clings to the bag while the excess will drop to the bottom. Then I just use a brush to swipe the clinging powder and apply it onto my face. That way I just applying a little powder at a time and have more control on how much I want to put on my face. The powder makes my face matte but also gives me a tanned look. The powder is a few shades darker than my light skin so I have to make sure I brush some onto my neck so there won't we an obvious line. I also bought a trave size powder brush for this so I can do touch ups during the day and I can wash the brush. They now offer the SPF 45 but it's .12oz for $30 while this one is 0.32 oz for $30.

Pros:

  • Instant UVA/UVB protection
  • Provides matte finish
  • Powder provides color and sheer coverage to slightly even out complexion
  • Doesn't sting the eyes

Cons:

  • Hard to tell if you applied any at all
  • Hard to tell how how powder is left in the tube
  • Cannot wash the built-in brush applicator since water will seep into the powder.
  • Price (It's a very small tube and it only lasted 2 weeks for me and I only use it for my face)
  • Color is too dark for fair to light skin tones (unless you're going for the fake tan look)

Bare Minerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen (Light): Basically the same packaging and concept as the Peter Thomas Roth sunscreen but the bottom is clear so I can determine if any powder is left. The brush is white so you can see the powder trying to come out but I couldn't really get any powder onto my skin. The bottom can also be unscrewed. After taking the cap off, the opening is wide so a travel size brush can perfectly dip into the powder while I tap off the excess onto the lid. The I just buff it on like mineral foundation. The color is just right for my light skin. I will most likely continue to buy this one for touch-ups during the 0.14oz for $30

Pros:

  • Comes in 3 shades: light, medium and tan
  • Provides a matte finish
  • Instant protection
  • The clear bottom enables your to see how much powder is left
  • Provides a sheer coverage so it evens out my complexion a little.
  • Doesn't sting the eyes

Cons:

  • Price (the contents of this tube is not even half of what you in the Peter Thomas Roth)
  • It's difficult for the powder to pass through the built-in brush
  • Cannot wash the built-in brush or water will get to the powder

This website, http://www.ewg.org/cosmetics/report/sunscreen09/investigation/summary-of-findings is a great site to find the various information on your sunscreen. After checking my sunscreens, each one contains an ingredient that is linked to cancer! Great.....

No comments:

Post a Comment